Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Asian Chicken Noodle Soup

I fee like crap today. Honestly. I went to bed with hives (a strange thing that's been happening lately, go figure, stress I think) and woke up with a lovely cold that was bubbling at 7am and now, at 10:30, it's at a rolling boil. I expect it to boil over at about 4. When I feel like this, I go for food that feels good to eat. About 2 years ago I came across a noodle soup recipe in a Nigella Lawson cookbook that I fell in love with. Chicken noodle soup but better. More flavorful, a little spice, a lot of noodles, a little different on the veggies. We make a lot of Asian foods in our house, probably because they are so stinkin' easy. I keep bags of frozen mixed Asian veggies in the freezer and various noodles including udon, ramen, and rice, in the pantry. I don't keep real stock on hand because I just don't have the freezer space. I use Better Than Boullion. So, here's my take on Ms Lawson's noodle bowl...

6oz of your choice of Asian noodles (I use 2 packs of ramen usually, WITHOUT the seasoning pack)
3 cups of your favorite broth or stock (make it coordinate with your chosen protein)
2T soy sauce
1t brown sugar (light or dark)
1t Chinese 5 spice powder
1t fresh ginger (FRESH!)
3C of mixed Asian veggies (frozen pre mixed, thawed and drained, or a combo of stuff like bok choi, shitake shrooms, shredded carrots, scallions,sprouts, snap peas, baby corn, water chestnuts, etc)
a small handful of frsh cilantro, chopped or torn

Bring broth/stock, combined with spices, to a boil.
Add noodles and cook according to package directions.
For frozen veggies: Lower heat to medium and add veggies. warm til heated through.
For fresh: Add veggies while it's boiling and simmer about 3-5 minutes or til they are cooked to your liking.
Either way, add the cilantro right before serving.

Enjoy and thanks Nigella.

No comments: