Monday, April 7, 2008

Gary: “Fine, I’ll help you do the damn dishes.”
Brooke: “That’s not what I want. I want you to want to do the dishes.”
Gary: “Why would I want to do dishes?”


Not that that entirely summarizes my life, but there's a bomb that's gone off around here and someone's entrenched in a duel in Guitar Hero and it ain't me gettin' my butt whipped.

Where have I been you ask? It started with the mayhem of 3 days to prepare an Easter meal for 8 plus the Little Man which moved into 2 weeks prep for this past Saturday's 1st Birthday Party for the Little Man with a mere 25 or so people to the house. Easter was, in all honesty, one of the easier holiday's ever. Andy did a lot of the cooking and I was able to do table decor and the like, learn some new recipes which were super easy but looked hard, and our house was about done of the decorating we'd started. The Little Man held up but went down for a nap right before we ate so our meal was relaxed. (Note: Never buy little kid's rompers that are not a knit fabric that have snaps in the crotch. They don't stay snapped.) Food was good. House looked great. People left and my house was clean before they went. Lovely.

Then mayhem set really set in. I did it, I pulled it off, but I'll admit, I had staff to help. Gene, Dix, and Mimi rolled up sleeves and followed the to-do list. Make that LISTS, plural. They did a great job and I could not have done it without them b/c there are simply not enough hours in the day or days in the week. Mind you, what I could have them help with was not making food b/c the Big Man decided that we would make all the food ourselves. Please translate that to MYSELF. Though he did the burgers and brats and manned the grill... I did buy the corn salad/salsa, the chips, buns, ice cream, precut veggies, and some other short cuts, but basically I didn't have anyone bring anything homemade. The piece de-resistence: Three cakes-- one to smash, a giraffe, and a monkey that was standing up like a stuffed animal with a tiny "cake" infront with a "1" candle and Little Man's name on it. So cute and probably what I found the most impressive of everything. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, the kids were happy (no tears), the dog behaved, and my house is in one piece. And I am slowly eating through the remains of the monkey cake in the fridge: His head. Well, if you have a better way to carve a monkey (think teddy bear), please let me know.

That bar is now set so freakin' high I'm scared. Apparently I *have* out Martha'd Martha. And I AM EXHAUSTED.

We're having a party this summer to mark the summer solstice. I want to call it "Midsummer" something but am at a loss for words. The gears are going, the save the dates sent to the people who I know would appreciate them, and all I need to do is try to convince myself to keep it simple. (ha)

Last thing: I am officially leaving "work" at 7pm each day. I am doing nothing after 7 unless it's taking care of Little Man, or it is specifically something I want to do deep in my soul (like blog). I have 3 places that I can go that I am not "working": bed, my bathroom when it's not being played in or used by Little Man, and my closet. I'd say my craft room, but I keep all the household files down there at the moment so... but I just need time away from it all. Time to focus, relax, watch the dust fall and try to remember what day of the week it is and if it's Wednesday I'm gonna need to wipe it up at some point. I want time to actually miss my family, to feel like I need to be with them right this second, to be able to reflect and know how much I appreciate them and love them. I don't want to accidently start to take them and their love for granted.
Ok, there. I posted. I'll post pictures next time b/c right now I'm going to BED!

No comments: